Lots of reading....
Have I mentioned how much I love summer vacation?!?! Well, I do. I have done lots of reading these past few days. I am devouring books. Here is the rundown of what I've read this weekend.
- Don't Ever Change is a short story that opens with high school seniors signing yearbooks (remember writing "you are so sweet, don't ever change"?). Fast forward in time and the narrator returns to her high school and sees a boy from her senior class...except that he didn't change! Turns out she, and everyone else, for the last years, have only written "don't ever change" in his yearbook. And it goes from there. Awesome!
- Stick Dog Wants a Hamburger is a children's story eBook about, you guessed it, Stick Dog and his friends trying, you guessed again, to get a hamburger. Cute.
- Henry Burp Mind Your Manners is another children's eBook about a boy who needs to learn manners. It has some cute drawings and the required "moral of the story".
- Mockingbird is an intense story. It is about an elementary school girl with Aspergers. Her brother was a victim in a middle school shooting. It has to do with acceptance, dealing with trauma after a school shooting, finding your way and trying to help other people. Intense, but good. I cried more than once reading it. (It is also at a middle school reading level...good for discussion I would guess.)
- Shattered: A Daughter's Regret is a teen novel about a girl who's overprotective mother is murdered. Lots of twists and turns. Cried during this one too! Also, very intense, but is put out by a Christian press, so it has a good message.
Well, that, is it for now...but I've started a new book and have 2 more from the library, plus plenty on my Kindle app. More to come.