Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Kids Books on Ancient Rome

We made a library trip on Tuesday and I picked up a couple of books on Rome from the children's section.

The first one I read was Dig It:  History from Objects - The Romans, by John Malams.  It shows lots of different artifacts, mosaics, statues and the like and explains information about the Romans through it.  It is a very visual book and has good images of the objects.

  The second one I got was The Gruesome Truth About the Romans, by Jillian Powell, Illustrated by Matt Buckingham.  This one was fun.  It has comic-style illustrations.  Every page features a fact and then the "gruesome truth", which is often bloody, gory and sometimes about poop and vomit.  Perfect for kids and those of us who have child-like minds or senses of humor.  It also features questions that are answered in the back of the book.  Very cute.


I've started another book that I thought was going to be serious anthropology, but is not quite there.  It's hilarious, but I don't think it is supposed to be.  I'll post more when I finish it.