This afternoon I got a text from Doug asking where a gas station was. Turns out that he, his wife Tava and some family were drive home to Colorado from a visit to South Dakota and they needed gas. We jumped quick in the car and met them at the gas station. We got to visit for around 5 min while they gassed up. It was such a fun surprise to see them! I wish we had a chance to visit longer, but alas, they were headed home. We will have to catch up when we go to the Springs in a couple of weeks.
I also finished another book this morning. This time, I read Room, by Emma Donaghue. This is the story of a 5 year old boy and his "Ma". For his entire life all of his existence is Room - an 11 x 11 room where he and his mother are held captive at the hand of a horrible man. Yet, this is the only existence he has known. They escape at only the middle of the book. While the escape and planning was intense, their recovery and introduction back (or for the boy just in) to the world is emotionally intense, fulfilling and captivating. This book reminds me of the stories of the young girls who have been abducted by bad bad people and held captive, often mothering children from these horrible people. This story is entirely fictional, although I can't imagine how these true life tales would have no bearing on the story. The story is told through the first person narrative of the boy. It makes for a quick read because of the writing, but also because it is so captivating. I recommend it.
