This weekend was quite busy. At least Sunday was.
Saturday night I finished the next book I was reading: The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly. It is part of the "Lincoln Lawyer" series. I saw it recommended in a magazine (as a summer read recommended by Tom Hanks) and decided to give it a shot, even though I haven't read the other Lincoln Lawyer books.
The basic run-down is this: A woman who is going through a nasty foreclosure suit is charged with murdering the man who is vice-president of the loan division of the bank that is foreclosing on her home. Investigation and a trial follow. There are some twists and turns and the defense (the Lincoln Lawyer is the defense lawyer) puts forth a defense of a set up. Well, the book held me to the end of my seat, keeping me up way too late on Saturday to finish it. And the best (or worst) part was that there was a twist in the last 4 pages that kept me up even later thinking about it. It came totally from left field and I couldn't believe it. This is a definite recommendation!
So since I was up so late on Saturday, I was exhausted on Sunday. We had church and then we were going to have youth group (which I was going to lead), but too many families were out of town. We've rescheduled for next weekend thinking that more people will be back then. I had a good afternoon watching Bones and relaxing (Season 4 on DVD).
In the evening, we took Miss Daisy for a walk. She had not been feeling good and got sick in the afternoon. We had given her more dinner (a full cup, not a half cup) on Saturday and 3/4 of a cup for breakfast on Sunday morning. So, our poor baby can't eat that much we think. After we got home from our walk, we were playing with her and it was fun. She will fetch her toy but won't drop it when she comes back with it. Instead she brings it back, shows it off and runs off to chew it. BUT if we play with both toys, she'll drop the first one and go after the second one, bring it back, drop it to go after the first one which I've thrown again, bring it back, etc. It was fun.
It has been so hot these last few days...up to the upper 80s. It is currently 88 degrees as I write (about 1:30 pm). I am grateful for AC and the chance to be indoors. A storm is rolling through now, but it doesn't look like it will drop any precipitation. At least it is helping to cool things down.
Today I started my online class Introduction to Early Childhood Education. We have a discussion assignment due every Friday and a quiz to correlate with our readings (2-3 chapters a week) due every Sunday. I'm looking forward to having something to fill my days with and it will be good to be learning too!
Tomorrow the library summer reading program begins and I'm going to volunteer there. Not sure exactly what I'll do, but I'm hoping to read to kids, help them pick out books and enjoy reading this summer. More to come on that later!
