Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Influential Teachers

Yesterday (Tuesday, May 7th) was National Teacher Appreciation Day.  In thinking about teaching, and sparked by comments on Facebook, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on some of the most influential and amazing teachers I had the opportunity to be taught by. 

My 5th grade teacher taught me that a teacher can have high expectations for students and still be fun.  She taught me the value of organization.  I had some of the best times in that class - including when, toward the end of the year, she got on the floor and whooped one of our classmates in arm wrestling!

My 8th grade social studies teacher introduced me to the world of archaeology and anthropology.  She, along with my 8th grade math teacher, immersed me in a world of learning about the Anasazi people of the American Southwest.  She always went above and beyond to make sure we were all successful and she made learning fun.

My high school cross-country coach, and Social Studies teacher, taught me a lot about life and doing my best always.  I hated all the group work (I won't lie), but I now see the value in learning to work with others - especially those you don't necessarily get along with.  She taught me to take care of others and our surroundings.  I still live and now pass on to other students the rule of "leave it better than you found it"!  Her (unintentional?) lessons on citizenship have really stayed with me.

My AP History teacher ignited in me a passion for learning and knowing the "real story".  I have never looked at history the same, and I am a better person for it.  He taught me the value of hard work and tons of research.  He was an amazing history teacher, football coach, student council advisor and caring adult in the lives of us as teenagers.

Magistra - my high school Latin teacher.  There is not enough good I can say about her!  She taught me to love Latin, mythology and all things ancient and shaped my academic career.  She taught me that the ancient is relevant to the now (frigidus, ita ita...).  She was such a character that I remember all these goofy things we did in class, but I remember all the laughs (and tears) we also had.  I am still telling students today about her classes and getting to share that spark of interest with kids today!

To all of my teachers, then and now, thank you for all you do.  You touch our lives in so many ways and there is no way to be able to share that with you.  To all the support staff (aides, custodial staff, kitchen staff, maintenance staff, office staff, school administration...), your efforts often go unnoticed, but know that as an adult I respect, appreciate and try to acknowledge all who do your behind the scenes jobs.

Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!