I finished reading another Bones book. In Bones to Ashes, by Kathy Reichs, we find Tempe investigating the deaths of several missing persons in Quebec. The trail leads Tempe to question the abrupt leaving of her summer-time best friend. The girl, at age 14, returned to Canada to care for her mother. The story of her long-lost summer friend entwines with the story of a "leper hospital" in Quebec in the 19th and early 20th century.
Tempe, Detective Ryan and another detective - Hippo - are also working to investigate a string of deaths that lead back to the childhood friend's sister and husbands family. There are the required forensic twists, dramatic and spine tingling threats and chases. The back story between Tempe's love interests - Ryan and her ex Pete - is also good. Quite a good book, but intense in its own way.
I then read a short non-fiction work about Czar Nicolas II. In Search of the Last Czar, by Joshua Hammer, discusses the discovery, testing and public relations and announcements of bones reported to be the bones of the Romanov family. It is interesting to see the political motivations behind the authentication of the remains. There is still a public debate surrounding the memory of the monarchy in Russia.
I love reading and I am grateful that in the summer I get to read so much!

