Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Cure To Die For, by Stephen G. Mitchell

I have finished another of the free Kindle books that I have.  A Cure To Die For:  A Medical Thriller, by Stephen G. Mitchell, was a very interesting and fun novel.


We follow a group of people that includes a ER doctor who has resigned his position because of addiction to pain killers (a la House), a Montana woman who worked in a research lab with a (now deceased) geneticist, a mortuary owner and a corporate spy.  Their lives all intersect in a small Montana town where the deceased geneticist has developed and grown a hybrid plant that cures any and all diseases.  This plant is a hybrid of pot and another plant and is known as Cannastar.  The main characters are working against a big pharmaceutical company to be able to grow and administer this cure.  The pharmaceutical company does not want this drug to get out into the public because it would make their business obsolete.


The book follows this group as they work to grow and share this cure.  There are lots of twists and turns and for a while it seems that nothing will go right for these people.  I felt like the ending of the book was rushed.  Almost like the author wrote the final chapter at the last minute before the manuscript was due.  Overall it was a good book, but I was not satisfied with the ending.