Saturday, September 24, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

This morning I finished the final Harry Potter book - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J.K. Rowling.  I have to say it was definitely a page turner.

The final book follows Harry, Ron and Hermione in their final battle with Lord Voldemort.  There are some twists and turns traditional to one of these novels.  I found myself at the final, climatic scene struggling to stay awake in the late night hours because I wanted to find out what happened.

Harry battles Lord Voldemort.  He uses a gift he has been given by his family and friends as the ultimate weapon against Voldemort.  There are triumphs and heartbreaks.  All of the battle was written with many sensory words and images.  I felt like I could see, hear, smell and feel what it was like there. 

The epilogue illustrates a moment "Nineteen Years Later".  Things have worked out in some ways that I thought they would, and some ways different.  I don't want to give too much away since I know a lot of people read them, but it was very, very good.

I watched the first movie last weekend and it was good...but the book was better.  I have the rest of the movies on my "To Watch" list.  I'll let you know if I think they are as good as the first.