Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Lost Symbol, by Dan Brown

I love that in the summer I get a chance to do lots of reading.  Last night I finished reading the third in the Robert Langdon series - The Lost Symbol, by Dan Brown.  This was another huge undertaking at 600 pages (in the print version), but it was another great story.

Harvard professor and symbologist Robert Langdon finds himself in another tricky and intense situation.  After being tricked to come to Washington D.C. and bring a mysterious package that his friend Peter Solomon asked him to hide, Robert becomes entwined in a race against time to save his friend.  Peter has been abducted and being held prisoner and the only one to save him - according to the kidnapper - is Langdon.  The symbologist must decipher the Masonic pyramid and the capstone (which was in that mysterious box) and tell the kidnapper where the lost treasure of the Masons' is located.  But....Peter had told Langdon long ago to never, ever let the box come into the wrong hands, and Langdon knows Peter (a prominent Mason) would not want the treasure to be revealed to all.

What is a symbologist to do?  Why, do what he can to save his friend - which is what he tries to do with Peter's sister Katherine.  There are powerful people and hidden forces at work to help (or stop?) this mystery from being solved.  Who can Langdon trust?  Can he save his friend from death?  Or is this all just too much for a man who has had crazy encounters in both Rome and Paris?  You'll have to read to find out!!

All in all, I say this is a great thriller and mystery story.  Dan Brown has once again woven known facts, legends and fictional situations/people/places into a page turner that made me stay up way too late reading! 

Before I start reading the latest in the Langdon series (Inferno, by Dan Brown), I am going to take a time-out and try some different YA series that I checked out from the library.  But don't worry - I'll read Inferno soon enough and then review it for you.