Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Serpent's Shadow, by Rick Riordan

I finished the third and final book in the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan.  The Serpent's Shadow is an action-packed conclusion to the story of brother-sister duo Carter and Sadie Kane.  The Kane children must travel through the Egyptian underworld (Duat) in order to capture the shadow of Apophis.  Apophis is a giant snake and ancient enemy of Ra (the sun god).  Sadie and Carter learn that in order to destroy Apophis (or at least send him away for a long, long time) is to find his shadow - a portion of his soul - and destroy the shadow along with the rest of Apophis.

This is not a simple task, however.  Carter and Sadie lose friends and family in this epic battle.  They learn more about themselves and about each other. 

The action scenes in this novel were very well written.  I learned about Egyptian mythology (not one of my strengths) as well.  I recommend this series to pretty much everyone.  The final installment is a long one (400 pages), but all three books are worth a read!

I am currently on to another topic completely.  But you will have to wait until I finish the book to see what it is.  In the meantime, I am looking forward to both Pi Day (3/14) and the Ides of March (3/15).  Expect some crazy and nerdy posts this week on those topics.