Instead of 5QF, today we have "Four Nerdy Questions" courtesy of mental_floss!
1. What high school or college class have you found most useful in your adult life?
As far as content goes, my math courses have been the most useful - I am able to help students with the algebra and other math concepts because I understand them.
Otherwise, my AP History class has been the most useful. AP History taught me a love of learning, history, work ethic and dedication. Also, Coach Mitch showed how an adult can spark debate, awaken an interest in a subject and create more questions than answers.
2. What was your most special birthday or birthday party as a kid? As an adult?
I remember all of the crazy sleepover birthday parties as a kid. We had quite a bit of fun. As an adult...I'm hoping that my upcoming 30th has been the most special birthday I've had.
3. Pretend it's 2021. What will car audio look like? FM/AM/Satellite? Internet radio? Any podcast at the touch of a button?
I think that car audio will be like a "cloud" of songs that you could play anywhere. You will be able to access a song by using a screen (a la iPod), voice activated controls or even by humming a few bars. Car audio will be "smart" and not only play the song(s) you want, but find similar songs for you to enjoy.
4. Let's end with something very open-ended: what was the nerdiest moment of your life?
Oh, there are so, so many nerdy moments! Most recently I had an extreme nerdy moment this week.
On the mental_floss website was a list of "holidays" to celebrate in March. On the list is March 15th, the Ides of March (Caesar, Brutus, political back "stabbings" [haha...get it? Stabbing? Because Caesar was stabbed?...no....]...you know, typical Roman politics). That's not the nerdy part.
The nerdy part is when they chose an image to illustrate the Ides, they chose a statue of Augustus. They did not pick a statue or painting of Julius Caesar but rather Octavian/Augustus Caesar (aka first "Emperor" of Rome, Julius Caesar's adopted son/heir and herald of the Pax Romana).
Now it's pretty nerdy that I knew by looking at the statue that it was the wrong Caesar, but the worst part is that I then looked up the link to the image and the image credit, couldn't find the image anywhere but decided to continue looking. THEN, I commented on the article to try and set the record straight! (uber-nerd)